Monday, December 9, 2013

It's 3am.

So, logically, I'm baking pears.
Baked pears you ask?  Yes.  Well, kind of.

My 'baked pears' idea came from here: http://chimeraobscura.com/mi/thats-a-wrap/

The pictures alone make you hungry!  I was surfing the web for ideas to help me make a Christmas dinner menu, and stumbled upon this gem.  It looked simple enough so I figured, "Eh, middle of the night seems like a pretty good time to inhale some mascarpone whipped cream!"


I tried my best to get them in the oven right (disregard the pear with the bottom stem part still attached).

Cut and core them, then add lemon juice, unsalted butter, sugar, and water before popping them into the oven for about an hour, flipping halfway through.


At the halfway point I couldn't resist breaking from the original recipe (as I usually do), and drizzled some honey over the outside.

Straying from recipes in baking is never a good idea for me.  I will invariably screw something up, and it never turns out like it should.

But this time wasn't my fault, I swear.

As delicious as the other bloggers recipe for the espresso mascarpone cream sounded, I just didn't have the ingredients.  I don't usually keep whole vanilla beans or espresso in the pantry.

So I improvised:  mascarpone, whipping cream, ground coffee, sugar, cinnamon, white chocolate drizzle, and vanilla extract.  





Not too shabby.  For once my wayward baking ways ended up with a win (though I'm sure the original recipe tastes awesome)

Look at that beauty.  Sprinkled a little nutmeg over the top and it was good to go.  

My husband even stopped playing video games to eat the whole thing.  




We started up Lace From Rust with the idea of blogging about things we do in our respective houses to make them into homes.  The idea was geared more towards home renovations, furniture redos, decorating, and the like.  

Taking rusty old pieces and make them into beautiful, lacy, works of art!  

Do these pears fit the bill?  

Maybe.  

Ok, no.  Not when you word it like that.   

But a large part for me making a home for my family is centered around the kitchen.  

After starting a family and getting our own place, I've dived head first into learning to cook and bake.  I've actually come to enjoy it quite a bit.  I love to try new things, establish favorites, and make my boys happy! 

And if anyone knew of my horrendous 'cooking' skills a few years ago, they would definitely agree that little by little, one helpful pinterest pin at a time, my kitchen is becoming lace from rust!  


*Kailey







No comments:

Post a Comment